Recently, dedicated a week to all things lead magnets. Specifically I shared about ideas on what to consider when making the perfect lead magnet. If you missed it, you can review our previous post here. While understanding some best practices of lead magnets is essential, what comes next is even more critical: the follow-up.
Here’s the thing…most entrepreneurs will say they have issues with lead generation, because they are not getting enough leads to achieve their sales goals. But what if it wasn’t about how many leads you are getting but what you do with them?
For many solopreneurs, the exhilarating rush of potential opportunities can lead to what I call “premature promotion.” Here’s what it looks like:
- The Perfect Partnering Opportunity: You get wind of a collaboration that can skyrocket your visibility. It’s exciting, it’s now or never, and you need to present something to capture this newfound audience.
- The Workshop Epiphany: An inspirational session or workshop sparks a brand-new course idea. The excitement is palpable. And you want a lead magnet to go along with this fresh idea—yesterday.
Tell me…have you experienced one or both of these?
Both scenarios are thrilling. They’re signs of a business that’s growing, evolving, and tapping into new opportunities. But here’s the trap: in the rush to capitalize on these moments, many solopreneurs stumble into one of two major pitfalls.
From Handshake to Marriage Proposal
You’ve got them—the potential client has shown interest by accessing by asking for your lead magnet. But instead of nurturing this budding relationship, you go from delivery to the sales pitch. There’s no courting, or warming them up to the idea of working with you. Nope! I don’t know you’re last name, but let’s do this!!
This abrupt move can feel jarring to a potential client and icky (no wonder so many entrepreneurs struggle with finding their sales footing). It’s like asking someone to marry you on the first date!
The Ghosted Lead
On the other end of the spectrum, there’s the ghosted lead. Here, after providing the lead magnet, there’s… silence. No follow-up, no additional resources, no touchpoints. This leaves potential clients in the lurch, wondering about the next steps or if they even matter to you.
I think we see this most often and it makes total sense! When you’re trying to do ALL THE THINGS, it can be really hard to have the capacity to keep the conversation going. And what do you say? How can you find new and exciting ways to say I’m just following up.
Crafting The Follow-Up Experience
Building rapport isn’t about bombarding leads with sales pitches. It’s about acknowledging their journey, understanding their pain points, and offering value every step of the way. This nurturing process is crucial to turning a curious visitor into a loyal customer.
To create an impactful follow-up experience:
- Acknowledge and Thank: A simple thank you email, expressing gratitude for their interest, lays the foundation for a positive relationship. And this happens while also delivering on that promised resource.
- Provide Value: Share related content, resources, or insights that complement the lead magnet they’ve accessed.
- Narrate Success Stories: Share testimonials or case studies. Show them real-life examples of how your offerings have made a difference.
- Engage and Interact: Invite them to webinars, Q&A sessions, or online community forums. Engage them in conversations that aren’t strictly about making a sale.
- Personalized Check-ins: Automated doesn’t mean impersonal. Tools today allow for tailored check-ins based on user activity, making them feel seen and understood.
Remember, every touchpoint is an opportunity to show your leads that they’re more than just a name on a list or dollars in your pocket. They’re valued members of a community you’re building—one that cares, understands, and delivers.
Taking The Next Step
Here’s the thing. What happens after someone opts into your lead magnet may be one of the most significant milestones in your business. It’s your chance to make a positive and lasting impression.
If you’ve been nodding along, recognizing these pitfalls in your business journey, don’t fret. We’re here to help, guide, and optimize and we even have tools that you can use right away to make sure your follow up is exactly what your prospect needs. Dive deeper into creating an unforgettable follow-up experience and ensuring steady business growth. Book a discovery call with me and let’s embark on this transformative journey together.